Authors: Nic Turiciano

The information desk in the Lory Student Center began selling tickets for Wale at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 17.  By 4 p.m., all 800 free student tickets had sold out.

“Pretty much the people who got tickets knew who he was and were here even before we were,” said Kaila Francis, a senior liberal arts major and manager at the LSC’s IBox.

The Washington, D.C.-based rapper’s performance will serve as the closing ceremony for this year’s Black History Month, which has included other events such as Wednesday’s African Drumming Concert.

United Men of Color (UMC), the student organization responsible for bringing Wale to CSU, hopes to raise awareness, recognition and appreciation for Black History Month as well as UMC, Garett Hayes, president of UMC, said in an e-mail.

“We truly believe that this artist reflects and exemplifies UMC through his positive and creative lyrics. His motto is ‘No days off,’ and for me and the brothers of UMC, we live up to that,” Hayes said.

UMC attempted to keep the show under wraps, but all 1,100 tickets sold out quickly. There were 300 tickets available for $12. UMC expected the reaction, Hayes said, but he’s still shocked at how everything has worked out.

“It is amazing and surreal to see the fruits of my labor. To be honest, I am still in disbelief that we were able to put this together,” Hayes wrote in an e-mail.

The show, funded by the Associated Students of CSU, the Parents Fund, the Diversity Grant, Campus Activities, the
Bohemian Foundation and ticket sales, is the only CSU affiliated concert to sell out this year other than Ludacris.
Ryan Moulden, a sophomore communication studies major, found out about the concert through Facebook and stood in line on Feb. 17 to get a free ticket.

“I’m really excited. I missed Ludacris because I had to work. I’m happy to see an artist I actually enjoy through a CSU event,” Moulden said.

Not everyone, however, was so lucky.

Erick Villalobos, a senior biomedical sciences major and a fan of Wale, didn’t find out about the show until it was too late.

“I think they did a pretty bad job of promoting it. I didn’t even know about it until I saw the poster on Tuesday. The only way I’ll be going is if I find tickets on Craigslist,” Villalobos said.

Craigslist isn’t the last option, though. UMC will be hosting a pre-party at Mo Jeaux’s Bar & Grill on Saturday night.
A free ticket to Wale will be given to the first 50 people who come through the door and a handful of tickets will be sold for $10 after that. The pre-party begins at 9:30 p.m. and lasts until 1:30 a.m.

Black Cobain will be the opening act for the concert.

Local Music Beat Reporter Nic Turiciano can be reached at verve@collegian.com.