Up in the air

Authors: David de Besche

The best way to end a slump is to do it against a familiar foe –– something the CSU women’s basketball team hopes to accomplish this weekend.

The Rams are riding a five-game losing streak heading into Saturday’s contest at home against in-state rival Air Force Academy.

CSU lost its fifth game in a row Wednesday night after falling to first-place BYU, 64-55. The loss to the Cougars was encouraging for the Rams, who felt they were a couple plays away from pulling the upset.

“We only lost by nine to the No. 1 team. We had some good moments,,” junior Kim Mestdagh said.

Despite being frustrated with the loss to BYU, coach Kristen Holt was pleased with her team’s effort.

“Overall, it’s an upbeat-positive for us. But can we duplicate that effort?” Holt said.

If the Rams are to end their skid on Saturday, they will need to play as a team and not just individuals as has been the case during the losing streak.

“We have to come together as a team and get it done like wedid before we started losing,” Mestdagh said.

Getting back on track will mean beating a struggling Falcons team that’s coming off its own devastating loss, an 81-57 beating at the hands of Wyoming. The Falcons are still winless on the road, which bodes well for the home-standing Rams this
weekend.

The Rams will have confidence going into the game with a victory over Air Force earlier this year, along with an impressive 8-4 record at Moby Arena on the season.
“We are pretty confident, but that doesn’t mean anything. We lost to New Mexico and UNLV the second time we played them,” sophomore Chantel Kennedy said.

Kennedy is coming off a career night against BYU where she put up 11 points while grabbing six rebounds and notching two assists along the way. The sophomore had a breakout game last month against the Falcons and will be counted on again come Saturday.

“She has got to stay aggressive and stay confident,” Holt said.
The Rams have slipped to sixth place in the Mountain West but will look to get back on track before the upcoming conference tournament.

“It would be big for us. It would give us momentum going into the conference tournament,” Kennedy said.

_Women’s basketball Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com. _

Catch the game

• Tipoff: 2 p.m. at Moby Arena
  • Rival: Air Force Academy
  • Tickets: Go to www.csutix.com