Authors: Erin Udell

For most students living on campus, last night was just a typical Wednesday.

But for a few Corbett Hall residents who settled in and flipped on their televisions to watch the CSU men’s basketball game, they got an unexpected surprise in the form of a woman poking her head in their room and asking what the score was.

Little did they know, the woman was Blanche Hughes, CSU’s vice president for Student Affairs, taking a tour through Corbett on her third annual “night in the life of a student.”

“I do it to really connect with students,” Hughes said of her night in Corbett, which included scooping free ice cream for residents while they enjoyed free henna tattoos and a temporary body art gallery in the hall’s common area.

Hughes brought the concept of “a night in the life of a student” to CSU after hearing about it being done at another university.

Joining Hughes, Sandra D. Haynes of Metropolitan State College of Denver and CSU Provost and Executive Vice President Rick Miranda participated in their first official night as students.
Their night consisted of dinner with hall staff, a tour of the building and interaction with students before returning to a dorm room shared with a student resident.

“I think it’s good for us to understand what life is like in the residence halls,” Miranda said. “The more we know about it, the better.”

“It’s really educational for us and it’s fun,” he added.

For Hughes –– who was a resident assistant and residence director in college –– spending time with the hall’s staff was very important.

“One of my biggest reasons for doing this is for the staff,” Hughes said. “They live here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so if they can do it all the time, I feel like I could do it for one night.”
As the current residence director of Corbett Hall, Karla Perez-Velez said she enjoys seeing members of the administration interact with students in their own space.

“We wanted to provide an opportunity for interaction between them (the administration) and the students,” Perez-Velez said. “It helps that they can interact in a casual manner — making it more of a casual experience.”

This experience also helps students see members of the administration as more approachable, Perez-Velez said.

“To be honest, I don’t really know what the provost does,” said a resident assistant in Corbett. “But this is a really great opportunity to find out and hang out with him.”

Senior Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.