Authors: Kevin Lytle

The Denver Nuggets Melodrama is finally over.

After months of speculation and rumors, all-star forward Carmelo Anthony was traded to the New York Knicks on Monday evening in a three-team deal between the Nuggets, Knicks and Minnesota Timberwolves.

And CSU students aren’t happy with the outcome for the local NBA team.

“I’m not too happy,” Nuggets fan Solomon Herrera said. “We just got the old Knicks team. We’re going to be back to 10 wins a season.”

Worry over seeing the Nuggets fall back into the historically bad times in the pre-Carmelo era was prevalent among students who have become accustomed to winning seasons and playoff appearances during Anthony’s seven-year tenure in Denver.

“It sucks,” communications major Matt Boren said. “I feel abandoned. We’re not going to be good for a few years. It will be like the ‘90s again.”

The trade will reportedly send Carmelo Anthony, point guard Chauncey Billups and reserves Anthony Carter, Shelden Williams and Renaldo Balkman to the Knicks.
The Nuggets will receive forwards Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari, point guard Raymond Felton and center Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks’ 2014 first-round pick as well as second-round picks in 2012 and 2013. The Nuggets will also receive $3 million cash.

Despite the fact that the Nuggets received three of the Knicks’ top four scorers, most students questioned felt the pieces gained by Denver won’t do enough to help lead the franchise toward success.

“We can start fresh,” said Ben Mezger, a junior natural resource recreation and tourism major. “But I would have preferred we get some better players.”

The inclusion of Billups in the deal rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Billups is a Colorado native and had expressed a desire to retire as a member of the Nuggets.

“That’s the worst part,” Boren said of Billups’ involvement in the trade.

For the most part, students were happy that the months of speculation and rumors are over and that a resolution will allow everyone to move on.

“I’m happy it’s done,” said junior liberal arts major Rob Tortora. “I’m glad he’s gone. He bailed on us.”

Anthony’s first game in a New York uniform is expected to be Wednesday when the Knicks host the Milwaukee Bucks. The new Nuggets debut will have to wait until Thursday when Denver hosts the Boston Celtics.

The Nuggets may not be done dealing as the trade deadline looms, as the organization continues to move pieces in an attempt to rebuild.

Sports writer Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

DENVER NUGGETS GET:

• SF Wilson Chandler
  • PG Raymond Felton
  • F Danilo Gallinari
  • C Timofey Mozgov
  • Knicks 2014 first-round pick
  • Warriors’ 2012 second-round pick
  • Warriors’ 2013 second-round pick
  • $3 million in cash.

NEW YORK KNICKS GET:

• SF Carmelo Anthony
  • PG Chauncey Billups
  • PF Shelden Williams
  • PG Anthony Carter
  • PF Renaldo Balkman

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES GET:

• C Eddy Curry
  • PF Anthony Randolph