Obama: Support Libyans

The revolution train is still a-rollin’ through the Middle East, and it’s time for President Barack Obama to start shoveling coal into the furnace.

Libyan dictator Col. Muammar Gadhafi, vowed Tuesday to die a martyr in “his” country and to spill the blood of his own people, as violent opposition protests raged in the streets of Tripoli.

Here on campus, our own Libyan students and supporters gathered to back their embattled countrymen, and some called on Obama to break his silence and support the pro-democracy protesters dying in Libya’s streets.

Both groups deserve praise.

For too long, the megalomaniacal Gadhafi has ruled Lybia with an iron fist. The revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt have proven that Arab dictators can indeed fall to the cries of their people and Gadhafi is next in line.

Although more blood will have run through Libyan streets before Gadhafi falls, the Libyan people have shown they have the will to grant their leader his wish of martyrdom.

But if the U.S. is to live up to the democratic principles it claims to hold above all else, Obama and the American people need to throw their full support behind Libya, just as CSU’s protestors demanded Tuesday.

A new Middle East is being born before our eyes. Instead of playing politics, Obama should do what’s right and show that America too believes in a democratic Middle East.