Authors: Jordyn Dahl

Protestors gathered in the Plaza shouting “Obama has to know. Qaddafi has to go,” this afternoon to protest the actions of Libyan dictator Moammar Qaddafi, who has ruled the country with an iron fist for 42 years.

There were around 50 protestors holding up signs, most of them from Libya who have family trapped in the country with no way to contact outsiders letting them know if they are alive or not.

Gatherers held up signs calling the dictator a murderer and yelled that President Obama needs to take action.

The organizer, Mahdi Omar, is from Libya and his entire family remains in the country. Two of his cousins were killed in the protests last week. The rest, he said, are safe.

Omar said the protestors want to see Obama take action and tell Qaddafi to give up the country. He said no countries talked about the uprising until after oil stopped being exported from Libya.

“I’m wondering if Libya blood is worth less than the oil,” Omar said. “By being silent, that would be like (Obama) being on the dictator’s side, and by doing so he’s losing the (Libyan people’s support).”

The protestors want Obama to speak out and condemn the actions of Qaddafi against the Libyan people. They want him to declare that the country should be free.

But CSU sophomore Abdul Belgasem said condemning the actions of the dictator is not enough.

“Obama has to tell Qaddafi and his kids to leave the country,” he said. “That would be huge.”

Belgasem is from Libya but has lived in the U.S. his entire life. He plans to return to his country as soon as he can, though. He thinks Qaddafi will be toppled because the people will never stop until they are free.

“If there’s no justice, there will never be peace,” he said.

Assistant News Editor Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.