Authors: Nick Childs

The CSU women’s basketball team will aim to end its losing streak as they face conference foe BYU on Wednesday night at Moby Arena.

The Rams (12-13, 5-7 MWC) have lost their last four games and currently sit in sixth place in the Mountain West Conference, but are only a half game out of fourth place.

The last four regular-season games for the Rams will be very important; luckily, three of them are at home.

“We want to finish the season strong and have a lot of confidence going into the conference tournament,” said sophomore guard Meixandra Porter.
The Cougars (19-7, 11-1) currently stand alone atop the conference standings, and lead the conference in many statistical categories including scoring offense and scoring margin.

BYU offers a style of play that is very difficult to plan for, Holt said, because they don’t run a specific offensive set and move the ball very efficiently.
“They play very good team ball that we really can’t scout,” she said.

These two sides first met this season in Provo, Utah, and the Cougars won 73-57 behind strong performances from seniors Haley Hall and Mindy Bonham.
Bonham recorded her second career double-double and was one rebound shy of a triple-double.

The Rams’ recent struggles haven’t been due to poor play but instead a lack of execution late in games, Holt said.

“We really limit ourselves by thinking too much. We have to play together and have fun,” Porter said.

CSU’s success this season has come from energy on defense which leads to easy baskets on the offensive end, according to Holt.

“When we rely on our offense, we struggle,” she said.

Porter has been one of the lone bright spots throughout the current losing streak, elevating her offensive production.

Porter has averaged 15.5 points per game in the team’s last two contests, seven points higher than her season average.

However, Porter has fouled out in both games. According to Holt, the sophomore tends to commit bad fouls when she tires.

Fouling is unavoidable, she said, but it should only happen as a result of tough defense.

This is a style of play that the Rams have tried to implement, said freshman guard Hayley Thompson.

As freshmen, both Thompson and Sam Martin have been put in prominent roles. Martin is 2nd on the team in minutes per game, and Thompson is 4th.

“It’s a great experience to get this much playing time my freshman year,” Thompson said.

Sports writer Nick Childs can be reached at sports@collegian.com.