Community Briefs

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Dance troupe brings CSU African culture and music

The Saakumu dance troupe will perform in the Griffin Concert Hall in the University Center for the Arts today at 7:30 p.m.

The troupe comes to CSU in order to introduce audiences to both traditional and contemporary music and dance.

As one of the leading music and dance groups of Ghana, they combine contemporary forms and traditional styles.

Led by Bernard Woma, they will perform spiritual, ceremonial, recreational and contemporary African dance forms.

Tickets are $7 for CSU students, $1 for youth ages 2 – 17, and $12 for adults.

Ecology speaker to explore responses of microbes

Claudia Boot will speak today at 11 a.m. for the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory Spring Seminar.

The title of her seminar is “What is the physiological response of microbes to drought?”

Boot will speak in the Francis Clark Conference room B215 of the Natural and Environmental Sciences Building. Her lecture will cover how microbes cope with environmental changes and their adaption to cues like temperature and moisture.

Scientists are working to quantify putative osmolytes and profile other constitutes of the energetic costs of adapting to drought.
*
New FoCo event creates wild Winter Whimsy*

Women are invited to Winter Whimsy, the party of the season tonight at the Fort Collins Senior Center at 1200 Raintree Drive at 6 p.m.

Winter Whimsy provides opportunities for women to eat, drink, laugh, shop and have the company of girlfriends.

Entertainment will be provided by all-girl R&B/funk band She Grooves. There will also be a silent auction, a live auction, and every attendee will be entered to win a diamond bracelet.

Tickets are $45 and include three drinks, an entry into the grand prize drawing and appetizers. They are available at all recreation facilities.