Community Briefs

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

MLK week presents “The Hidden Story of Katrina”

ASAP will sponsor a showing of “The Hidden Story of Hurricane Katrina: A Community Stands Up for Change” at 6 p.m. tonight in the Grey Rock Room of the Lory Student Center.

Following the program, the organizers of the New Orleans alternative spring break and Asian Pacific American student leaders will host a discussion regarding the themes of the film.

REI hosts Camping in the Winter course

Tonight from 6:30 to 8 p.m., local REI experts will share tips on how to stay safe and bring the right gear on winter camping expeditions.

The event is free, and reservations can be made at www.rei.com.

Local group looks toward town’s future

Embrace Colorado, a local group focused on improving Fort Collins through debate and discussion, in conjunction with the CSU Center for Public Deliberation, is holding a gathering of regional leaders tonight at the 1st National Bank Exhibition Hall at the Ranch in Loveland.

Speakers Robert Grow and Elizabeth “Boo” Thomas will share their experiences dealing with the challenge of rapid growth in Utah and devastation in Louisiana and how these events brought communities together.

The doors open at 6:30 p.m., with a public reception at 8:30. The events are free, but a reservation is required. Reservations can be made at www.embracecolorado.com.

Local natural area hosts “Eagle Watch”

Community members can join a master naturalist and head to Fossil Creek Natural Area to witness the yearly bald eagle migration.

The “Eagle Watch” will be held from 8 to 10:30 a.m. today, and binoculars and scopes are provided to all who attend. The event is free and open to the public. Additional information can be found at www.fcgov.gov/naturalareas.