Authors: Michael Elizabeth Sakas

In the next few weeks, “Best of 2010” lists will be popping up everywhere. I enjoy this time of year because it allows me to educate myself on all the things I shouldn’t have missed out on, but did.

And if you didn’t pay attention to the happenings in the music world for the last 12 months, no need to worry. I’ve got you covered.

1. Jónsi, “Go”

The voice and soul to Icelandic band Sigur Ros, Jón “Jónsi” Þór Birgisson went solo this year with his album, “Go.” Unlike with Sigur Ros, Jónsi sings mostly in English, giving us a different but still beautiful side to this marvelous musician.

2. Sufjan Stevens, “Age of Adz”

The shock of rampant synthesizers and auto tuning on this album was difficult for me to get over, but after seeing the songs preformed live I started to understand its awesomeness. By the way, it’s pronounced “Age of Odds.” Avoid looking dumb in front of other Sufjan fans.

3. Arcade Fire, “The Suburbs”

Win and Regine get real on this album, where they confront growing up and ask it a bunch of questions. Their sincerity is felt through all 16 solid tracks.

4. Fierce Bad Rabbit, “Spools of Thread”

This local act did such a great job on their newest album and I just can’t stop listening to it.

5. Tired Pony, “The Place We Ran From”

Maybe it’s because I have a soft spot for Snow Patrol and lead singer Gary Lightbody, but I thought his new project and album was beautiful. Lightbody said the project was something he has “wanted to get out of his system,” and that “he doesn’t know whether people will dig it or not.” Well, Gary, I sure do.

Music reviewer Michael Elizabeth Sakas can be reached at verve@collegian.com.