Wrap it up

Authors: Erin Udell

It’s finally December. The air is getting colder, ugly sweaters are coming out of their seasonal hibernation and, with the holiday season just around the corner, most have a running countdown going until Christmas. There are only 17 days to go, people, and you know what that means — presents.

For some, the holiday season is a chance to give, to show appreciation for precious friends and family members, blah blah blah, long story short: it’s time for stuff — glorious, meaningless stuff. With time ticking away, here’s a quick reminder on how to wrap presents.

• Step 1: Remove the price tag and place the present in a box.
  • Step 2: Measure the box’s circumference; add 2 to 4 inches to the final measurement and cut wrapping paper to fit.
  • Step 3: Fold one edge of the wrapping paper over a few inches to ensure a clean, straight line.
  • Step 4: Bring the opposite side over before placing the folded side over it, securing it with clear tape.
  • Step 5: On the ends, fold the top flap of paper over the end before folding the bottom flap inward.
  • Step 6: Complete the flap by folding the end in an inch or two, creating a straight edge.
  • Step 7: Fold the flap up and secure with tape before repeating the last steps on the other end.
  • Step 8: To make the package look crisp and neat, use your fingers to crease the edges of the package.
  • Step 9: For a decorative touch, fold a ribbon and secure it with tape or a sticker.

If you’re short on time, a simple gift bag with tissue paper is quick and easy. For last-minute wrapping paper, the comics section of the newspaper is a colorful replacement.

Special thanks to the Girl Scouts of Colorado gift-wrapping station in the Foothills Mall. Volunteers will be offering their gift-wrapping services through Dec. 24.

City Council Beat Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.