Authors: Molly Ungerer

The media has never been able to do this with any other band or celebrity story. What I’m talking about is bringing back a band to prominence repeatedly and successfully, without fail, every time. Why is this? Because The Beatles are simply the greatest thing to ever happen to the music scene.

Have you ever come across someone who claims that they “don’t like The Beatles?” Do you ever have an appropriate response? What would one say to that? I draw a complete blank because I simply don’t understand what this individual is saying. I can see not being a Beatles enthusiast, but saying that you “don’t like The Beatles” is a different statement, and I refuse to believe it.

For those of you who claim to “not like The Beatles,” you’re not fooling anyone. It’s okay to forsake your indie cred and embrace the mainstream for The Beatles. I firmly believe that anyone who states that they “don’t like The Beatles” is pulling this “stunt” for the attention it brings.

Word to the wise, the attention you get is never positive in and may get you into some trouble … or it may get you called out in this article for trying to be what you think of as “different.”

The Beatles never cease to amaze me. No matter how long ago it was that they made the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100, The Beatles are holding their place in today’s pop culture. And here I am, only supporting and adding to the spotlight and coverage of how phenomenal they are.

Every time they have one of these media bursts, it’s still just as big as the last one. The fans completely eat it up and never tire of The Beatles publicity. My dad was in high school when The Beatles first invaded the U.S. airwaves and triggered “Beatlemania.”

He says that to this day, every time The Beatles are “reintroduced” to the media, he does just the same as every other fan –– indulge in weeks of Beatles music, re-watch the videos they have released and review every article published within the past two weeks.

The Beatles are all over the media in newspapers, on the Web, on the radio and on television. This time The Beatles’ explosion was due to their latest release onto iTunes.

According to Rolling Stone magazine, The Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million individual songs on iTunes within the first week of their release onto iTunes.

Now that this eruption of “Beatlemania” has resurfaced, The Beatles are everywhere. Rolling Stone magazine had a special edition in November strictly based on The Beatles as well as LIFE Magazine, which released a special edition in honor of John Lennon titled “Remembering John Lennon 25 Years Later.”

They also now have coffee mugs displayed at Target that feature several different album covers of The Beatles alongside some of the favored albums of The Beatles such as “Abbey Road,” “Rubber Soul,” “The White Album,” “Beatles For Sale” and “Please, Please Me.”

If there’s someone who can’t get enough of The Beatles, there was a Beatles Anthology released in 1996 that has roughly 11 hours of their recordings, footage of their shows and interviews with George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and their producer George Martin.

On the other end of the spectrum, those of you who think that you don’t like The Beatles, I would recommend putting any one of their albums on just so you can “turn off your mind, relax and float down stream.”

Molly Ungerer is a sophomore journalism major. Her column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.