Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Well look at that, we get back from a nice Thanksgiving break and all of a sudden, Texas Christian University announces that it’s leaving the Mountain West Conference for the Big Least, ahem, Big East.

Thanks for killing the holiday buzz.

Beginning in the fall of 2012, the TCU Horned Frogs will be a part of the Big East for all sports, giving the conference nine schools for football and a whopping 17 for basketball.

Way to screw the pooch, Frogs.

With the MWC on the cusp of receiving an automatic bid to the BCS thanks to both TCU and Boise State, that dream realistically died a painful death on Monday, with Gary Patterson and the Frogs laughing all the way to the bank.

While it makes sense for TCU to join the Big East in terms of money, actual national coverage on ESPN and an automatic bid to a BCS game each January, the Frogs ultimately joined a conference that has football competition on par with the Western Athletic Conference.

Congratulations on that “step up.”

And what about basketball? For having two basketball teams that are barely relevant in the MWC, good luck sending them to the Big East, where basketball is king (or queen). It’s hard enough for each of the good schools to qualify for the Big East Tournament each season, now TCU is going to try and get in on that action?

Good luck with that.

For football’s sake, all it shows is that TCU is scared of a little competition with Boise State joining next season. And on the hardwood, enjoy your death sentence, Frogs.