Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

If Congress were a game of chess, the Democrats have failed to set up a strategic plan for the duration of the match.

By electing former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., as House minority leader, the Democrats have failed to listen to their constituents. Pelosi was opposed by Heath Shuler, D-N. Car., who is traditionally a more conservative Democrat leader –– but, in a vote of 150-43, party representatives chose to keep their balls-to-the-wall liberal leader.

Pelosi, as reported by the New York Times, ran for the position to preserve party accomplishments –– healthcare, financial regulation, Medicare and Social Security –– from the past two years, knowing that Republican leadership has the undoing of those legislative moves on their agenda.

The former House speaker spent most of the 2010 Midterm Election season as the figurehead for negative ads against Democrats and, arguably, a household name to blame for the country’s liberal-seeming agenda.

After being ousted from more than 60 House seats, Democrats had an opportunity for redemption. The party could have waved its white flag and let voters know the message was heard and tactics would be changed. Dems could have opened their history books to 1994 –– The Clinton Era.

Republicans at that time reclaimed the House and the blue party changed the face of its politics. Less worry about pushing the unpopular healthcare bill and more focus on cutting spending and balancing the budget.

Needless to say, with Pelosi at the helm of House minority politics, 2012 is more likely to be another massacre of the Democrats.