Authors: Erin Udell

About 20 people gathered in CSU’s Engines and Energy Conversion Laboratory Friday to celebrate the launch of Movember, a month long event aimed at raising awareness and money for men’s health issues.

This international event challenges men to grow a moustache for the entire month of November. Each moustache is supposed to raise awareness and prompt conversation about issues like men’s cancer.

According to the Movember Foundation website, men are known to be more apathetic toward health issues compared to women, creating a gap between the state of men and women’s health.

“A lot of people associate the color pink with breast cancer,” said Mac McGoldrick, the operations manager at the Engines and Energy Conversion Laboratory, EECL. “The moustache is like a pink ribbon.”

Roshan Joseph, a graduate student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, began participating in Movember last year in support of his uncle, who was fighting cancer. This year, Joseph decided to bring the event to CSU and gather a team of his friends from the EECL.

“There are some types of cancer that can be placed back to lifestyle choices,” Joseph said. “If we can raise awareness, more teenagers and young adults will make healthier lifestyle choices.”

One of the main goals of Movember is to increase early detection, diagnosis and treatment of prostate and testicular cancer.

“One in two men worldwide will have some form of cancer in their lifetime,” Joseph said. “That’s a shockingly high number.”

David McKenna, a graduate student in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, is one of the 13 people from the EECL participating in Movember.

“It seemed like a pretty good cause and a good excuse to do something ridiculous with my facial hair,” McKenna said.

This event was originally started in 2003 and has grown into an international movement spanning from the United States to the U.K., Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Spain, South Africa, the Netherlands and Finland.

According to the Movember website, more than one million donors raised $42 million for the Prostate Cancer Foundation, PCF, and LiveStrong in 2009.

The donations given to PCF are used to fund cancer research with the hope of ultimately finding a cure for prostate cancer.

LiveStrong uses the funds raised by Movember to finance programs supporting young adults battling cancer.

“Cancer awareness is an extraordinarily important pursuit,” McGoldrick said. “There’s a lot more awareness of this cause and the effort of Movember, so I think it’ll just continue to grow.”

City Council Beat Reporter Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.