Authors: Kari Pills

Housing and Dining Services is working to make things like on-campus dining and laundry services more accessible to CSU and Fort Collins community members.

Over the next few months, it will replace the E-Card with RamCash Express.

The E-Card allowed off-campus individuals to load money onto a card, similar to a gift-card, and purchase food in the Lory Student Center, said Tonie Miyamoto, director of Housing and Dining Services.

The money on E-Cards could not be spent on laundry or in the dining halls, but by switching to the RamCash Express by the end of the calendar year, cardholders will have access to food in the residence halls and laundry rooms at university apartment complexes.

“It will come in handy for non-CSU students,” Miyamoto said. RamCash Express is for non-students who do not have access to traditional RamCash.

“In general, our recommendation is for students to keep their regular card and just add money to their RamCash,” Miyamoto said.

Traditional RamCash can be loaded on to a student’s CSU identification card, or RamCard, and used to buy food at any on-campus venue, like Cam’s Corner Store and Sweet Sinsations. It can also be used to pay for temporary parking on campus and parking citations.

Kathy Williams, who is taking graduate courses once a week, said that she never had an E-Card and probably wouldn’t get the RamCash Express card either. When she’s on-campus, Williams just pays for her food with cash.
“If my kids were here, I think it’s perfect,” Williams said.

Miyamoto said the card can also be used as an incentive for university employees, adding that her office has gifted $50 in RamCash Express to its employees as a thank you.

Staff writer Kari Pills can be reached at news@collegian.com.