Authors: Abel Oshevire

On Thursday and Friday, Campus Equity Week will explore academic work-based issues and provide students with information about the working conditions of non-tenure-track teachers.

Sue Doe, an assistant professor from the English department, said the national event gives colleges and universities around the country a chance to consider the increasing numbers of faculty whose services are performed off the tenure track or without job security –– usually at a much lower wage than their tenured colleagues.

At this year’s event, Eileen Schell, chair of the Writing Program and chair of the Senate Agenda Committee at Syracuse University, will deliver a keynote speech. Schell is also an author of two books on contingent/adjunct faculty labor.

“We have moved into a new era of awareness and proactive support of non-tenure-track faculty on the CSU campus,” Doe said. “Having a nationally known expert on this issue can help our campus to move forward even more forcefully and become a major player in the national discussion of this issue.”

Torsten Eckstein, an assistant professor from the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, said the event would look to highlight some of the problems associated with non-regular employment practices and what it means to academic institutions.

“Students should be interested in this event because it will inform them about the impact non-regular faculties have on their education,” said Eckstein, who is the chair for the new Faculty Council Committee for Special and Temporary Faculty.

“One third of the faculty at CSU is non-regular, and hiring faculty for 16 weeks will have a strong impact on academic freedom and the quality of teaching,” Eckstein said.

Eckstein said it is important that students know that 16-week employments were not the best way to fulfill the mission of higher education at CSU.

Diversity Beat Reporter Abel Oshevire can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• What: A week to appreciate the faculty and staff at CSU who work without tenure.
  • When: Thursday and Friday
  • Events: The events for Campus Equity Week include:
  • Open Hearing: on Thursday from 10 a.m. to noon in the Grey Rock Room, Lory Student Center. This event invites exchanges among individual contingent/adjunct faculty and a panel including representatives from the American Association of University Professors, the new Faculty Council Committee for Special and Temporary Faculty and College Committees for Contingent Faculty.
  • Keynote Address by Eileen Schell: on Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in TILT 221.
  • Contingent/Adjunct Faculty Workshop: on Friday from 10 to 11:30 a.m. in the Education Building, Rm 2.