Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The state has only $555 million to spend on higher education next year. That makes Colorado the almost-bastard child of higher education funding, coming in at 49 out of 50.

So the possible 20 percent tuition increase –– this is equal to $1,050 more annually –– CSU announced yesterday should come as no surprise.
In 2009, CSU received $30 million in federal stimulus money to help fill the gap left by dwindling state appropriations. Those dollars were supposed to hold the university over until it reached what has been described as the financial cliff,in 2012, when that money runs out.

In a shocking twist (that’s sarcasm), however, projections now show CSU could experience an additional $16 million to $17 million cut in state funding in the next fiscal year.

While the university brings in millions in private donations and through its capital campaign, The Campaign for CSU, administrators are forced to take a hard look at CSU’s budget.

Is it viable to cut professors? How about departments? Can certain positions be combined into one for efficiency’s sake? Do the trash bins in offices across campus need to be emptied every day or once a week? These are all questions that had to be answered.

Since fiscal year 2009, CSU has seen about a $30 million loss in funding from the state. These cuts were seen administratively, with about 300 jobs lost.

With this in mind, CU-Boulder requested a 9.5 percent increase from the Colorado Commission on Higher Education, which translates to a $1,330 annual increase.

There are a multitude of factors that influence whether administrators ask students to empty their pockets in exchange for their degree. Thus, it’s important to remember that CSU isn’t just increasing tuition willy-nilly.