Authors: Lianna Salva

Things will be swinging at the University Center for the Arts tonight at the Duke Ellington jazz concert. The concert will be a tribute to the “big band” legend performed by CSU students of Jazz Ensemble I and II.

The performance will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Griffin Concert Hall at the UCA.  Tickets cost $7 for CSU students, $1 for youth ages 2 to 17 and $12 for adults.

Under the direction of Jazz Studies Director, Peter Sommer, Jazz Ensemble will showcase Ellington’s music while attempting the same energy as the jazz legend.

“Rehearsals with Jazz Ensemble have been fantastic,” Sommer said. “The students have been studying the classic recordings and are ready to realize the music at an extremely high level. We have been striving to maintain the Ellington aesthetic while still playing the music with our own sense of energy and joyfulness.”

Duke Ellington’s music inspired many other genres, including blues, gospel and classical.  

Ellington’s music also was featured in award winning films, such as “Symphony in Black” in 1935 and “Paris Blues” in 1961.

The performance will not only display the high energy jazz that Ellington is so well known for but also two classic Ellington songs that were arranged by more contemporary composers, Sommer said.

Ellington was a big band legend during the height of American jazz music and remains today a jazz icon. His performances were known for their high energy and fun atmosphere.

Freshman engineering major, Scott Seike, appreciates the impact Elligton’s legacy has on music.

“Duke Ellington had a very smooth style,” Seike said. “He also gave attention to each member of the orchestra and allowed each individual to play to his strengths.  He made use of the whole orchestra effectively.”

Jazz concerts are sponsored in part by ART342.org and CSU School of the Arts.

Staff writer Lianna Salva can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.

• What: Jazz Ensemble I and II perform Duke Ellington
  • Where: University Center for the Arts
  • When: 7:30 p.m.
  • Tickets:
    $7 for CSU students
    $1, for ages 2 to 7
    $12 for adults