Authors: Molly Ungerer

Don’t forget to participate in life. This article is totally scamming off my last with me ranting about living in the now. Singer Trevor Hall has a line: “This life is like a drop of water in a frying pan.” Life will all happen so fast, and then you have the pleasure of asking yourself what you would have done differently.

It’s not too late. You can still try to shorten the list of things that you should’ve done.

Let’s try living our lives. Do the things you have always daydreamed about while sitting behind your cluttered desk or thought about while trying to scratch down notes in that droning lecture. Don’t let life pass you by and then catch you in the realization that you didn’t actually pursue any of the things that you really wanted to cross off your bucket list.

These days, everyone is so caught up in his or her agendas. When does anyone set aside time to just be? We are so consumed in checking our e-mail, cell phones, setting up meetings, paying bills and having set schedules for every open slot of the day. Task. Task. Task.

How about trying to be a little more spontaneous?

Remember being a carefree, spastic child, always so easily amused and incapable of muffling a ruptured scream of laughter when you find something to be much funnier than the average adult? When you think of that time, the reason you were so blissful and chipper was because you weren’t losing sleep over trying to impress, please and meet deadlines for others.

I’m not suggesting that we all just drop out of school or quit our jobs. Just loosen up. Spontaneity.

It’s OK to be impulsive and irresponsible once in a while. I know a lot of you like to think that we all came off of an assembly line and that we’re not allowed to color outside of the lines. But the reality of it is, we’re all humans, and it’s only natural to screw up or make irrational decisions in our life times. Don’t forget to take risks and scare yourself on occasion.

It doesn’t even need to be risky, but do something out of your ordinary routine. And I hate that money is a major factor holding us back from engaging in these acts of random, disorderly behavior, but when I really think about it, I feel as if I will always owe money to someone or some bank. I might as well be enjoying the reasons behind my unceasing continuum of debt.

There are just far too many possibilities and opportunities to pass up. I have written and rewritten my bucket list numerous times.

Try learning a new language, take up a new instrument, join/start some club, run a marathon, travel on the refund money from your student loans (this is me telling Mom and Dad that I’m going to Florida within the month to see the cousins), swim with sharks, pack up and move to a state you’ve never been to, learn to salsa dance, join a bowling league, be a contestant on “The Price is Right,” live on a boat for a year, get into some hard drugs and write a book about your recovery (whoa, kidding, don’t do drugs, but feel free to write a book ), invent something crazy that will top anything that Apple has ever put out, learn to read. Do anything and everything.

I remember when I was younger and my parents would ask me what I wanted to do when I grew up. They would suggest things in which they thought I might be good, and I always sort of cringed in disagreement.

“That doesn’t sound like that would be very fun, especially if I were doing it everyday,” I would say. My dad would always have to remind me: “Molly, you can’t just always be having fun all the time.”

He had a point. But don’t lose sight in making your life something that will intrigue and keep you guessing.

Life is too short to hardly enjoy it.

Molly Ungerer is a sophomore journalism major. Her column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.