Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Campus police have arrested Shameek Jamal Bernard Lewis in connection with the Sept. 8 shooting outside Summit Hall.

In collaboration with the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office, CSU Police Department detained the 20-year-old Aurora resident around 2 a.m. Thursday morning at the Motel 6 on Mulberry Street.

The warrant charges Lewis with attempted first-degree murder and attempted aggravated robbery from the incident on campus, according to a press release from CSUPD. The shooting took place in a parking lot in the southwest corner of campus shortly after midnight.

Lewis is accused of shooting 21-year-old Johnnie Bradley Fresquez, in the arm after allegedly asking him for drugs. The victim then drove to his Broomfield home before alerting local police of the incident and never sought medical care for his wound.

Following the investigation, CSUPD found no additional threat to campus and determined the shooting was an isolated incident.

“While neither party involved in the incident was connected to CSU, police believe Lewis and Fresquez picked a location on campus for a drug transaction,” the same press release indicated.

The Summit Hall parking lot will be equipped with additional lighting and new security cameras. An emergency call box is also located in the lot.

Assistant News Editor Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com.