09/23 Community Briefs

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Students share Study Abroad experience for Hispanic Heritage Month

CSU students Michelle Garcia and Mariana Menge will get to tell their tales from Study Abroad last semester during Seeking Your Roots through Study Abroad, an event for National Spanish Heritage Month.

The informal panel, which will be held in El Centro, will begin today at 12:15 p.m. and go no later than 12:45 p.m. so students can get to class on time, according to a press release.

Garcia, who studied in Ireland to learn more about her maternal grandmother and mother’s heritage, will be talking with Menge about their experience, what their academics were like, what they learned outside the classroom and how the experience impacted them.

CSU, Fotowatio Renewable Ventures to build one of largest solar plants

Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, FRV, has begun a major expansion of the CSU solar plant, creating one of the largest solar plants at an American university, according to a press release.

The 3.3-megawatt addition, which will go next to the 2-megawatt facility that opened at the Foothills Campus last December, is expected to be completed within the next four months.

The project will generate 8.5 million kilowatt hours of clean electricity each year, according to the same press release. That’s enough energy to meet more than one-third of the CSU Foothills’ campus energy needs.

“By securing solar power through a power purchase agreement rather than major capital investment, Colorado State University will benefit from a renewable energy system that is cost-effective for years to come,” said Jose Benjumea, president of the FRV.

CU to join the Pac-10 in 2011

The University of Colorado’s Board of Regents voted unanimously on Tuesday afternoon in favor of CU-Boulder joining the Pacific 10 Conference in all sports beginning in August 2011.

CU will join Utah as new members of the Pac-10 in 2011, reestablishing the league as the Pacific 12 Conference.
Due to exiting the Big 12 Conference, CU and the Big 12 have reached a settlement in which the conference calls for a reduction of $6.86 million in revenue to the university during the current fiscal year.