Authors: Rachel Childs

The Loveland foothills fire that has been raging since 10:30 this morning and damaged one structure has yet to reach more than 0 percent containment, said officials from the area police department.

Evacuations have been called within a four-mile radius of Pinewood Reservoir. Residents of the Cedar Park and Storm Mountain area are being advised to prepare for an evacuation as well, according to a city of Loveland advisory.

Two air tankers and helicopter tankers are currently in use to spread fire retardant over the area.

Meeting places have been scheduled at the Church of Loveland at 3835 SW 14th St. Overflow shelter is available at the city’s Walter Clark Middle School.

The fire has grown to approximately 40 acres since it started and six counties are assisting with efforts to contain the fire.

The Red Cross is working with Loveland Fire and Rescue to build a shelter and Larimer County Humane society is helping shelter evacuated pets.

Residents with large animals are advised to call Loveland Police dispatch at 970-667-2151.

Another fire started misguided model rocket was reported in Arvada at 2:15 p.m. Sunday. The fire burned 20 acres and extinguished within an hour and a half.

A family in a field off of Highway 93 and 64th Ave set off the rocket.
No people or buildings were injured.

“It took off and went the wrong way,” said Scott Pibble, spokesman for Arvada fire protection.

The family may have to pay for damage to the grassland, but that is undetermined at the moment.

Crime Reporter Rachel Childs can be reached at news@collegian.com