Community Briefs

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

President’s Leadership Program scholars announced
On Wednesday the university named six CSU students as the President’s Leadership Program Scholars for 2010 to 2011.

The PLP, which started in 1989, is a leadership development program “comprised of three year-long academic and experiential courses” that focus on creating active, informed citizens practicing ethical, service-oriented leadership, according to a university press release.

The PLP Scholars, an offshoot of the main program in its inaugural year, will attend the traditional courses along with discussion groups with CSU President Tony Frank and top faculty, meet nationally and internationally renowned leaders, receive a $2,000 internship fund and complete a discovery/artistry project in the field of study.

The six recipients are as follows: sophomore mechanical engineering major Darryl Beemer, freshman political science major Jessica Galvan, freshman civil engineering major Ryne Schroder, freshman art major Madeleine Wilbur, sophomore mechanical engineering major Kevin Westhoff and freshman psychology major Elise Yenne.

Giant salamander science at CSU
At 3 p.m. today Rachel L. Mueller from the Biology Department will present a seminar on genomic gigantism in salamanders.

Salamanders have huge nuclear genomes, which is very rare among vertebrates. Researchers at CSU use evolutionary genomics and organism biology to uncover the processes of the gigantism.

The event is presented by the Department of Health and Exercise Science.

Old Town car show reaches new heights
Hundreds of vintage cars, trucks and hot-rods will be on display from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday in Old Town Square as part of Nelsen’s Old Town Car Show.

The event will offer live music by Heidi and the Rhythm Rollers and High Gear Daddies. It is free and open to the public.

To register a car or truck for the show call the Downtown Business Association at 970-484-6500. Registration is open from 9 to 11 a.m.

Discovery museum to break ground Saturday
Families, faculty and science enthusiasts alike will break ground Saturday on the new Fort Collins Discovery Museum located at the corner of Mason and Cherry streets.

The museum, which is set to open in January 2012, will “present science and culture experiences in a hands-on, minds-on approach,” according to a Fort Collins Downtown Business Association press release.

Family activities, including clay brick making, solar cookies and homemade root beer, will run from 2 to 3:30 p.m., after which the groundbreaking ceremony will take place.

The first 1,000 children at the groundbreaking will receive a commemorative Fort Collins Discovery Museum Groundbreaking Shovel, according to the release.

For more information call 970-221-6738 or visit the museum’s website at http://fcmdsc.org.

— Collegian Staff Report