Authors: Sara Michael

Editor’s Note: This article incorrectly reports that students can leave unwanted plants and fish at the front desks of their pertinent residence halls. Westfall Halls is the only residence halls offering this service. The Collegian regrets its error.

The article also quotes freshman communications major Samuel Fay and freshman business major Sebastian Smith. After an internal investigation by the Collegian and the university, it was confirmed that neither are students at CSU. The Collegian regrets its error.

Newsom Hall resident assistant Kari Ashby advised her hall to please make wise decisions during their last week of college.

“One year we had a student who tripped really badly on acid. He was having hallucinations –– I forget if he thought the army was after him, or aliens, but he couldn’t move out because he was so paranoid,” she said. “It was bad.”

For students living in CSU’s residence halls, the middle of May means more than the hassle of finals. It means storage space and boxes, as well as completely erasing all traces of the past year from the dorm rooms.

“Move out is such a long process,” senior psychology major Ashby said. All residents must move out of their halls before the RAs can move out, and all the RAs must be out before the residence hall director can leave, making for a lengthy, tedious process.

At the end of her second year as an RA, Ashby said she has enjoyed the experiences of dorm living.

“Academic Village was awesome because of the private bathrooms,” she said. “Newsom has character. They’re all different.”

Ashby plans to have one more year as an RA in Edwards Hall.

“There’s a lot of memories everywhere,” she said. “I’ll walk down the halls of (Academic Village) and remember late night study parties. I can’t pass the steam tunnels at Newsom without remembering the zombies that we had to chase out at 11 o’clock at night. You relive experiences.”

One perk of living on campus, Ashby said, is that she can still wake up with 15 minutes and get to class on time.

Undeclared freshman Hallie Meeker, who lives on Ashby’s hall in Newsom, said she loved her year in the dorms because of all the people she was able to meet in such close proximity.

“Now I get to brag that I had a typical college experience. I definitely learned to appreciate a nice shower,” she said.

Meeker has yet to start packing for move out, but, she said, with finals on the brain, she has more to worry about.

Freshman communications major Samuel Fay and business major Sebastian Smith took charge of their move out and were hauling boxes of their belongings out to be recycled Thursday afternoon. Dining hall dishes, clothing, bicycle wheels and an old television were just some of the many items they were getting rid of.

“Our goal is to have as little as possible to move out,” Fay said. “What you see here, this is just the beginning.”

“We each have two boxes of stuff to keep,” Smith added. “But I’m sure we’ll accumulate it all back by next semester.”

Living in Durward Hall was what they both described as “an experience.”
“What happens in Durward, stays in Durward,” Fay said. “But Durward was awesome,” he added, prompting a laugh from his roommate.

“If by awesome you mean loud, inconvenient, loud, gross and loud, then yeah,” Smith said.

But both said that, given an option, they wouldn’t have lived anywhere else. Next year they are rooming together in off-campus apartments.

To assist students with their move, all residence halls are selling boxes for $1 a piece and can provide tape and dollies. Unwanted fish and plants can be left at the front desks to find good homes.

There is also a Leave it Behind program, where students can leave unwanted clothing, shoes, school supplies, furniture, household goods and non-perishable food items in bins in the lobbies of their residence halls. The items will be donated to the Salvation Army.
_
Staff writer Sara Michael can be reached at news@collegian.com._