Authors: Kirsten Silveira

In an attempt to help students and teachers weather the current economic recession, CSU Parking Services will ask to freeze current rates for the next school year.

Dave Bradford, CSUPD director, said the department struck an agreement with the CSU System Board of Governors to raise permit fees incrementally for four years, and this year would have finished off the contract.

“We’ve got a lot of students on a tighter budget and faculty on a tighter budget,” Bradford said, adding that the department expects the increase to resume in the 2011-2012 school year.

The department’s budget, Bradford said, is supported by parking tickets, permit fees and meter parking. For the current year, Parking Services projects $2.5 million in permit fee revenue.

Bradford couldn’t confirm the agreed amount fees would increase each year but said the supplemental budget aids Parking Services in building and maintaining the new parking garage and allows for necessary upkeep on lots around campus.

In the coming year, Parking Services will replace the Engineering lot’s four-meter stations with eight new models similar to those found in the Morgan Library lot.

The asphalt supporting the Transit Center bus station will be replaced with concrete, and two parking lots located at Howes and Myrtle Streets will receive roughly $200,000 in renovations.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com