Authors: Alli Sylte

Starting at 2 p.m. on Saturday, members of the Arnold Air Society, a service group at the CSU Air Force ROTC, will run for 24 hours to commemorate the death of CSU alumnus Lt. Michael Lacy.

“Lieutenant Lacy was one of the best while he attended CSU,” said Dustin Keller, a senior chemistry major and a member of the Arnold Air Society. “He was an example to all of us about what a leader in and out of the Air Force should be.”

Lacy attended CSU in the 1990s, and was an Air Battle Manager in the United States Air Force after he graduated. In 1999, while stationed in Italy, Lacy died in a motorcycle accident.

The event serves to raise donations for the Lacy Scholarship, which every year goes to an outstanding CSU AFROTC cadet.

Over the 24-hour period, students participating in the event will take turns running one-mile laps around the intramural fields. A 50-caliber bullet casing will be passed between participants during the run. In previous years, up to 30 students have taken part, playing games and eating food during their downtime.

This year, they hope to have more than 100 participants.

“Though the event mainly comprises members from the Arnold Air Society, we always welcome more people to come run with us, donate and ask questions,” Keller said.

“The run is very fun to do, and for a worthwhile cause,” said Joe Stelmach, a senior economics major and member of the Arnold Air Society.
The family of Lacy is usually present at the event, and even joins in to run a lap or two.

“Getting through the full 24 hours isn’t that tough, except for when you’re running at 3 or 4 in the morning and everybody is tired,” Keller said. “But the experiences that we gain are priceless.”

News writer Alli Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• What: A 24-hour run to commemorate the loss of Lt. Michael Lacy
  • When: 2 p.m. Saturday to 2 p.m. Sunday
  • Where: The Intramural Fields
  • Who: The Arnold Air Society