Authors: Jordyn Dahl

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell is speaking today at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena for the grand opening of the College of Business’s Rockwell Hall-West.

Powell’s lecture will address global leadership and diplomacy, according to a university press release, and is the culmination of “Leadership Month” at CSU’s College of Business for the newly opened hall.

Tickets are currently sold out for the lecture, but the Campus Box Office will be releasing unused tickets in the event starting at 5:30 p.m. when the doors open.

Powell became the 65th secretary of state in 2001 under the Bush administration and pledged to support any and all countries that wished to join the democratic world. He served as the key aid to the secretary of defense and as the national security advisor to former President Ronald Reagan before his term as secretary of state.

Powell also holds the rank of four-star general after serving in the U.S. Army for 35 years and accumulating a variety of awards for his service including the Purple Heart.

He is a strong advocate of the War on Terrorism, having been secretary on Sept. 11, 2001, and has often stated that “winning that war is our first priority, and it will remain so for as long as necessary,” according to a statement released by the College of Business.

Former President Bill Clinton was said to be the original speaker for the grand opening but had to cancel due to other obligations.

There is no flash photography allowed at the event and purses and other bags will be checked at the door for containing items.

Staff writer Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• Who: Former Secretary of State Colin Powell
  • What: Lecture for grand opening of Rockwell Hall-West
  • When: Tonight, 7 p.m. at Moby Arena