Authors: Ashley Lauwereins

Audience members can expect to see a wide range of choreography and dance from featured faculty, guest choreographers and students tonight as the Spring Dance Concert opens at the University Center for the Arts.

Dance Director Jane Slusarski-Harris said CSU invited Jacob Mora to be a guest choreographer, who they’ve wanted to bring in for a while.

“Mora has a unique movement style that is grounded in a variety of dance genres,” Slusarski-Harris said in an e-mail interview. “The more students we expose to different choreographic and teaching styles, the broader their understanding of what dance can be.”

Selected to perform in Mora’s piece, senior dance and health and exercise science major Chantel Doyon said Mora has a unique style and uses all of his dance experience and technique to do something new when he choreographs.

Doyon’s personal choreography is also featured in the show, which she said takes on the broader issue of social pressure.

Sophomore business marketing and dance major Jessi Cowan said her choreographed dance featured in the concert was selected because it showed completeness.

“My piece is titled ‘Unveiled’ and is about sex trafficking” Cowan said. “I am dedicated to this the subject and wanted to shed light the issue and how people suffer in this way.”

Alongside the dancers, the CSU Symphonia Orchesta will perform its piece “Dumbarton Oaks,” which they premiered earlier this semester.

Director of Orchestra Wes Kenny said performing this time will be a different experience for the orchestra because of the location. Instead of performing in the Griffin Concert Hall, the show will be performed in the Dance Theatre, a stage that forces the orchestra to perform in a different acoustic situation.

“A dryer acoustical environment brings out different aspects of the music as opposed to something that reverberates,” Kenney said.

The Student Dance Concert starts today at 8 p.m., and runs at 2 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $9 for students and youth $18 for adults. Tickets can be purchased at http://www.csuartstickets.com.

Staff writer Ashley Lauwereins can be reached at verve@collegian.com.