Authors: Nic Turiciano

As the doors swing open on the Curfman Gallery in the Lory Student Center today at 4 p.m. for the public, so starts the gallery’s longest-running annual exhibition –– a culmination of the gallery’s 40th anniversary.

The opening reception kicks off the almost month-long 2010 Undergraduate Art Exhibition, which features pieces from CSU undergraduates, both art and non-art majors, through May 14.

More than 130 individuals submitted their work for this year’s show, which was juried by Judy Hagler and Kate Chinenty, owners and curators of Denver’s Translations Gallery.

This year, the show focuses on progressive trends in the Denver art scene, as well as where the scene might be headed, said Nick Croghan, graduate assistant for the LSC Arts Program.

“We’ve got a lot of installation pieces –– some more interactive –– as well as traditional portraiture and two dimensional media. It is a very figurative show this year, but there are also more cutting edge digital and projected pieces,” Croghan said.

The exhibit is often one of the gallery’s most popular exhibits due to the direct student involvement and breadth of allowed applicants Amelia West’s photograph of a man in Seattle’s famed Pike’s Place market is one of the 30 selected pieces that will be on display.

“People usually don’t respond to it like, ‘Oh, that’s a pretty picture that I would like to have in my house.’ So I thought that the show would be a good place to display it. I’m glad that it was accepted into it,” West said.

West, who recently switched majors from art to art history, submitted her photograph despite the fact that she is no longer an art major.

“I’d be interested to see how many non-art majors are in the show because I feel like there’s a different perception between art majors and the rest of the university,” West said.

And while the show has always been open to non-art majors, the content of this year’s exhibit will be broader than it has been in the past, said Megan Tilley, an art major and crew chief for the Curfman Gallery.

Tilley has been crew chief of the Curfman Gallery for two years, but this is the first year that her own work will be on display in the Undergraduate Exhibit.

Her pieces, “Beginnings 1987-2009” and “Roots of the Self, a Life’s Journey” are both three-dimensional pieces reflecting the variety in this year’s exhibit.

“Last year was mainly a two dimensional show. There were very few sculptures and very little of anything that was three-dimensional at all,” Tilley said. “This year is well rounded. We have paintings, photographs, prints and tons of sculpture compared to what we usually have, as well as ceramics.”

The opening reception will be held in the gallery, which is on the south end of the main level of the LSC. It is open to the public.

Staff writer Nic Turiciano can be reached at verve@collegian.com.