Authors: Robyn Scherer

Today is “I Love CSU Day,” an exciting proclamation signed by Gov. Bill Ritter.

CSU has given me a lot of unique opportunities. Through my course of study, I have been able to go on field trips to places very few people ever get to see. In less than a week, I experienced a pork processing facility in Oklahoma and a print shop here in Fort Collins. I doubt many people can say that.

The college experience is one that each and every person who has had it should be grateful for. A college education is not a given right, even though some feel it should be.

I am very fortunate to be able to go to college, and I hope that others feel the same way. With tuition rising and some schools raising standards for admittance, it will become more difficult for want-to-be college students to have the experiences that I have had.

CSU has given me more than experience though. It has given me an entire network of friends, professors and faculty upon which I can rely. I have one professor in the Animal Sciences Department who I can see as a lifelong friend and whom I know would help me with anything I would ever need.

Those types of people are hard to find, but on a college campus, it can be done. Students, don’t overlook your professors. Even though you may think they want to make your life miserable, they may end up becoming your best friends.

Professors, take time to get to know your students. I know that sometimes your responsibilities are pressing, but there are some students out there who want to get to know you for you, not just as Dr. Classroom.

I also love CSU because of the experiences I have had outside the classroom. For instance, when there are people on the Plaza with clipboards, it is in your best interest to pretend to talk on the phone.

Don’t worry, no one but you will know there’s no one on the other end. Then you won’t have to lie about going to class when you are really headed to the ‘Skeller.

Another valuable skill that I’ve learned is time management. I am what most people call “a go getter,” and I like to be involved in a lot of different things. My freshman year, that didn’t pan out so well for me. But after that I figured it out and I can guarantee no one knows me as just a number.

See, even at this school of about 25,000, I have found a small family. I am fortunate enough attend a college that not only promotes itself as a family, but is a family. But just like any family, you must put in the effort.

CSU has offered me a place to grow, to explore and to learn about a multitude of different things. Sometimes it’s in the classroom and sometimes it’s just on campus. College is definitely one of those places that is what you make of it.

If you want to sit at home and play video games, so be it. But if you want to go watch sports games, participate in the Homecoming Parade, intramural sports and join a few clubs, I suggest you do that too. Your life will be more fulfilling, and you will be amazed at some of the people you will meet.

I hope today that you can think of the reasons why you love CSU. I want you to think about all the opportunities you have been given and try not to waste them. There are a lot of people who would kill to be in your shoes.

And remember, go Rams.

_Robyn Scherer is a senior animal science, agricultural business and journalism and technical communication major. Her column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com. _