Authors: Josh Phillips

The media is at it again. Unable to find arguments of substance against the Tea Party protesters, it has resorted to labeling them “racists” and “right-wing extremists.”

As if we haven’t heard that one before.

Despite the media’s inability to document violence or find any arrests made at a Tea Party protest, it continues to suggest that the civil grassroots uprising is comprised of white neo-Nazi racists who carry fully automatic weapons.

Fortunately, the majority of the public isn’t buying into this hateful rhetoric. Rasmussen Reports’ polls consistently show voters believe Tea Partiers are more ethical and more in touch with current issues than Congress.

Media pundits, as well as local columnists, continue to berate the Tea Party for “inciting terrorism” and “scaring voters.”
Let’s set the record straight. The Tea Party was not constructed to create fear but as a result of fear. Ordinary citizens, fearful of the White House’s continual lust for power, gathered in protest to make known their expectations of fiscal responsibility and an unobtrusive government.

In rejecting overspending on governmental safety nets, they have followed the American tenet succinctly vocalized by Benjamin Franklin: “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

The White House is guilty of manufacturing fear, not the Tea Partiers. Consider the Department of Homeland Security’s, DHS, report titled, “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.” This hate-filled document suggests that those in favor of state over federal governments are potential terrorists; likewise, those who own guns are considered homegrown terrorists.

Using these broad, disgusting classifications, the DHS just labeled the Founding Fathers as “potential domestic terrorists.” Oops.

Janet Napolitano, our repulsive Homeland Security secretary who aided in the writing of this atrocious document, suggested that returning veterans are also potential terrorists.

My father is a Desert Storm veteran, and my brother an Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran. I own a gun and favor local governments over the federal government. Thus, Napolitano has labeled the majority of my family as “potential terrorists.” She has delved past the point of politics — now she’s made it personal.

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel joked that he feels that the First Amendment “is overrated,” at a White House correspondent’s dinner.

Phil Hare, a U.S. Representative from Illinois, was caught on tape saying, “I don’t worry about the Constitution (when it comes to health care),” despite taking an oath to uphold the document.

California Rep. Maxine Waters said that she failed to read the entire stimulus bill on an MSNBC newscast, failing to act in the best interest of her constituents.

Showing complete disregard for the First Amendment, Obama attempted to silence Fox News in a dazzling display of immaturity. His health care bill eliminates privacy between doctors and patients by interjecting a federal agent between them, furthering his Orwellian dream.

We have an oppressive, tyrannical government extending its reach and manhandling the populace at every opportunity, yet some of us are worried about Tea Party protesters?

Americans must come together. We must look at the big picture and realize the issues we face are not about “left-wing politics” vs. “right-wing politics,” they are about freedom vs. tyranny. The Tea Party represents freedom, liberty and small government. The White House offers suppression, malversation and propaganda.

The Tea Party is only the beginning of the civil revolution in America. As the government and media continue to ignore its warnings and misleadingly call it a “violent fringe element,” our citizens are backed further and further into a corner.

If cornered for too long, the civil revolution could possibly escalate to an actual violent rebellion rather than a falsely manufactured uprising. It happened on April 19, 1775 against a similar government and for similar reasons.

Suffice to say, if an outbreak of rebellious violence occurs, the blood will be on our deaf government’s hands.

In the meantime, Tea Party detractors can keep their White House propaganda and their bland, ineffective coffee. I’ll continue to drink my tea and listen to Metallica’s “Don’t Tread on Me.”
_
Josh Phillips is a senior business administration major. His column appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com._