In the past week, not one but two of my fellow columnists lowered their standards in either an attempt to perpetuate what passes for humor on the left or an outright demonstration of immaturity by using the word “teabag” as a verb.

MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, HBO’s Bill Maher and countless others have made a mockery of the hijacking of the Tea Party movement by right-wing poster children Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck.

Now, I’m not defending either of those two personalities, obviously, but I have noticed Olbermann, Maddow and Maher have failed to attack Judge Andrew Napolitano with the same fervor.

The judge hosts Freedom Watch, a daily podcast or videocast during which the Constitution’s restoration is the primary topic.
Fox News publishes Freedom Watch. You won’t hear the ultra-liberals on MSNBC or even my fellow columnists criticize the judge. Why not? He’s on Fox News and involved in the 9-12 Movement and the Tea Party. Why won’t they go after him?

He’s not an easy target. What I noticed is both sad and indicative of the climate in the nation, and it may come back to smack the liberals in their holier-than-thou faces.

When liberals decide to attack, they attack the lowest denominators: Beck, Palin and the Tea Parties. They change words to call the Tea Party a sexually deviant act. They refer to Republicans, as Maher so eloquently put it last Friday, as “the Hillbilly half of this nation.”

They make unfounded claims of pervasive racism among the Tea Party participants. Olbermann erroneously claimed the entirety of the movement consisted of Caucasians angry their country elected a black man to the White House.

When he called out the Tea Party for being monochromatic, the Dallas Tea Party responded in kind. Google it.

If I were to lower myself to the level of MSNBC and my two fellow columnists, I would forever refer to the Democrat Party as “The Donkey Show.” Not only is the donkey their mascot, but it also describes how they intend to deal with illegal immigrants. (Note: It’s irrelevant for this image who plays which role. The result is the same.)

I’m not going to lower myself to their level. I will instead post several quotes regarding the legislative process.

“We are on the precipice of a crisis, a constitutional crisis. The checks and balances, which have been at the core of this Republic, are about to be evaporated by the nuclear option. The checks and balances, which say that if you get 51 percent of the vote you don’t get your way 100 percent of the time. It is amazing it’s almost a temper tantrum,” said one senator.

“Mr. President, the right to extended debate is never more important than the one party who controls congress and the white house. In these cases the filibuster serves as a check on power and preserves our limited government,” another senator said.

“The nuclear option, if successful, will turn the Senate into a body that could have its rules broken at any time by a majority of senators unhappy with any position taken by the minority. It begins with judicial nominations. Next will be executive appointments and then legislation,” said another senator.

“This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental power grab,” a fourth senator said.
Which bitter Republican made these comments you ask? Every comment came from a leading Senate Democrat in 2005. Sen. Charles Schumer owns the first, Harry Reid the second, Dianne Feinstein the third and the fourth, none other than current Vice President and President of the Senate, Joe Biden.

“I say to my friends on the Republican side, you may own the field right now, but you won’t own it forever. I pray to God when the Democrats take back control we don’t make the kind of naked power grab you are doing.”

The last statement illuminates the failure of the system for the American people. Not only do these hacks –– Joe Biden again by the way –– rail against the manipulation of the process when it bypasses their voice, but they reverse course and use the same tactics when they get to office.

Tea Bags, anyone?

Seth Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.