Authors: Matt Miller

After months of planning, the department of Design and Merchandising will reveal a new fashionable side of CSU at the 2010 Student Apparel Design Show. Tonight and tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center’s Main Ballroom models will be taking to the runway.

This year’s show, which is themed “Haut off the Press,” will showcase the styles of 19 designers who have been working on their own line since entering the program. The student run event has been in the works since the beginning of the spring semester.

“It’s the mass presentation of everything they have been working for the last few years,” said event planner and senior apparel merchandising major Christina Robinson. “I’m really excited to physically see it happening.”

The four-year apparel and design program offers students the chance to plan, produce and promote the show on their own. The show is funded by donations from local businesses and revenue generated through ticket sales.

“It gives you the experience of what it is like to put on a fashion show,” Robinson said. “We had to really think outside of the box and make this great for the designers.”

The class of 27 students has organized the entire event as a final project and a way to show students and members of the community what they have gained in the program.

“They have an icing on the cake for their entire college career,” said the instructor for the class Paige Emerich. “They get to fully execute all of their designs and plans.”

“Anyone who comes will get a really awesome show and get to see the creativity that comes out of Design and Merchandising,” Emerich said.

The event will take place twice in order to accommodate more than 700 expected guests. On Tuesday evening, a reception will follow the show and awards presented to the designers.

“There are so many things you never think about that you actually have to go out and do,” said apparel merchandising major Amanda Lagion. “I hope people think of this show as topping the other CSU fashion shows.”

The event is hosted by local radio personalities Kama McDonald from KKPL-FM 99.9 The Point on Monday and Paul Wozniak from KTRR-FM Tri 102.5 on Tuesday. Tickets are $15 for the general public, $8 for students and are available at the CSU box office or at the door.

Staff writer Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com.