Authors: Robyn Scherer

As you all know, on Sunday the House passed a bill that will change health care as we know it. I am not going to spend this column talking about the bill, but instead what it will represent to the American people.

When the House and Senate were founded, they were done so that people could be elected to represent the people in their district, with the idea that everyone would be represented at the government level.

It’s amazing how far from that we have come. Now, political candidates are elected because of what they “say” they will do, not what they actually intend to do. See, I now believe political candidates get in and then use their own agenda, instead of the will of the people when they cast their votes.

Now, I know this next example is going to send some of you into rants about me only watching Fox News as it has in the past, but try to think broadly. I don’t even watch Fox News. If this had been a Republican doing the same thing, I would have felt the same way.

The example I am using is our own Betsy Markey. On Tuesday of this week, she wrote a column for the Collegian explaining why she voted for the bill.

I appreciate that she tried to reach out to her constituents, but that is something she should have done before she voted.

“This may come as a shock to some people, particularly some of the folks that are running against me in November, but not every decision you make in Congress should be guided by a political compass,” she wrote.

I wish that were the case with all politicians. Now, I can’t say what her vote was based on, but judging by the overall numbers, I don’t think it was based on what her constituents wanted.

The bill was passed not because it was what the people wanted, but because it was what the Democrats wanted. When Bush was in office and there were more Republicans than Democrats, the same thing happened.

The politicians who are elected today spend time from the first day they step into office trying to find ways to get re-elected. Instead of voting on what their people want, they vote on what they and their party want.

I believe this to be true because of the swings that have happened. Whenever a party is in power, and people start to get upset, they vote in more people of the other party not because it’s who they think will represent them, but who they think will be opposite of what they have.

That’s why the swings of the party in power happen so often. People were sick of Bush, and so they elected a Democrat. I don’t think it would have mattered who the Republican candidate was, he or she would have had a hard time getting elected.

I would like to see the House and the Senate cleaned out and have new people in office who actually represent their constituents. I think that a spending limit on campaigns, such as the one used by this campus, would be a great way to have good people in office, not those that have the most money and can get their name out the best.

A CBS poll taken on Wednesday found that, “Sixty-two percent want Congressional Republicans to keep challenging the bill, while 33 percent say they should not do so.”

This shows me that Americans did not approve of the bill as it was passed. Please reread that sentence again. It’s not that they don’t want health reform of some sort, but not how it was.

I believe that if House and Senate members listened to their constituents, they would have known this and the bill would not have passed until it represented what the people want.

“I’d rather be a good representative and leave the politics to the politicians,” Ms. Markey wrote.

I hope she truly believes this, or she will find that she will not be serving another term.

Robyn Scherer is a senior animal science, agricultural business and journalism and technical communication major. Her column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.