We are absolutely at the precipice of collapse. Look at every other nation throughout history; what is the repeated theme? Empires fail. Even more disturbing, invasions of Afghanistan cause empires to end.

This country has descended into a chaotic mix primarily guided by the agenda from one of two ideologies since the early 1900s.

Historically, the Republican Party represented both fiscally conservative views and limited government. Reagan and George W. Bush both broke with that ideological stand and were responsible for massive government expansion.

Democrats have remained consistent since FDR, first and always as the defenders of liberalism and lately as the torchbearers for “progressivism.” They seek only to expand government as far and wide as possible.

It has become more important than ever to tightly define these concepts. Today’s Democrat is probably liberal, likely to be progressive and rarely bucks the party to trend conservative.

Republicans, however, may be liberal, are rarely progressive and only one can claim three decades of consistently voting fiscally conservative.
I would not define Bush, McCain, Palin, Romney or Huckabee as conservatives except for their obvious support for and from the Religious Right.

I’ll say it again: Ron Paul is the only true fiscal conservative and the closest we have to a leader cut from the cloth of the founding fathers.
Why the history lesson mixed with modern politics? Well, we are at the precipice of some bad times.

Republicans and Democrats alike have treated the Constitution as disposable. They invoke it when they can twist the words to support their view; they ignore it when it does not.

Both parties were responsible for the Patriot Act. If you take nothing else from anything you ever read about modern politics, remember that fact.
Whereas Republicans and Democrats in office –– and Democrat/liberal/progressive citizens from what I have seen — treat the Constitution as an inconvenience, there is a very large portion of the population who equate ignoring or violating the Constitution as an attack on the nation.

Two documents led to the creation of this once-great nation. I’ve already identified one. Fewer people hold the other document more sacred but they feel it has always been relevant and served as a warning of the type of government we are approaching today.

I speak of the Declaration of Independence. The following passage is not the words of paranoia, psychosis or even conspiracy theorists. The words speak directly to a government destructive to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

“But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.”

The men who wrote these words knew the value of liberty. Today’s elected representatives and progressives scoff at these notions despite their relevance.

Our nation’s biggest threat is the buffoons in Washington D.C. Since the capital was built on a swamp it seems inevitable parasites would eventually take over. Republicans are not the answer anymore than Democrats.

The only way to prevent the federal government from collapsing at this point is to remove those two ideologies entirely.

We can only survive if the states take over their sovereign responsibilities as the primary source of government and that can only happen if we elect leaders who will defend individual liberty and will reduce the size of the federal government immediately, starting with Social Security, Medicare, Homeland Security and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

Today’s D.C. politician, except one, never asks before introducing legislation, “is this Constitutional?” Until we return to doing business that way, failure looms.

At least three of my fellow columnists believe invoking the Constitution as an obstacle of “progress” signals immaturity and petulance, but if federal laws were confined to what the Constitution expressly permits, we would not be on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now, just to be fair, if the ideologies I loathe so vehemently want to take over their individual states, I support it. But these two groups deserve nothing more than being cast into the septic tank.

Seth Stern is a senior journalism and sociology major. His column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.