Coffee with Paean

Authors: Johnny Hart

*Editor’s note: The Friday Q&A will run Fridays in the Collegian, often in conjunction with the 90.5 KCSU-FM show “Loco Local,” which airs from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursdays.

Paean (PAY-in) is a Fort Collins band that formed in July 2007. The band’s first full-length album, “Songs For Us To Sing,” drops tonight at their CD release party at Hodi’s Half Note. Show starts at 8 p.m.

I sat down with the band earlier this week for a cup of coffee and some interesting chatter. Here’s what they said:

Q: Who is Paean?
A: Jonathan Alonzo, guitar, piano, bass and drums; Aaron Landgraf, bass and guitar; Dave Maddocks, guitar, vocals and banjo; Tim Maddocks, drums and trumpet; Anna Maddocks, violin and vocals; and Marty Albertz, guitar and drums.

Q: How long has Paean been together?
A: July 2007. Jonathan: “Ever since then, (Paean) has been our group of friends and our band.”

Q: What music genre is Paean?
A: Aaron: “Tropical”
Jonathan: “Epic-rock. It sounds pretentious, but it’s the only way to describe it.”
Tim: “Dave once said he starts out every song as a country song.”
Dave: “Everyone’s coming from a different direction.”

Q: How do you write songs?
A: Dave: “Once I have a song, I’ll bring it to the table, and it will change drastically.”

Q: What’s the craziest thing that’s happened to you on tour?
A: Dave: “What was Indianapolis? David in Indianapolis?”

While on tour, the band ran into an interesting audience member who attempted, and failed, to play tambourine on stage during their set in Indiana.
Jonathon: “He marched up to my side of the stage and started rocking the tambourine. … Having someone jump up on stage and play with you …”
Tim: “… and f*** it up …”

Jonathon: “… it was quite a sight.”

Q: While on tour, who smells?
A: Jonathan: “Me, Tim and Marty. … Showers, they happen, but on tour, there’s really no point.”

Q: What’s the weirdest thing someone’s written about you?
A: Dave: “We do potlucks and not heroin.”

Incidentally, the band does do potlucks, and they do not do heroin.

For more information about Paean, visit their Web site http://www.myspace.com/paeanco.

Entertainment Editor Johnny Hart can be reached at verve@collegian.com.