Authors: Kirsten Silveira

Student government will reveal who is in the running for next year’s presidential and senatorial seats at 5 p.m. today.

Election Manager Kevin Robinson said candidates will begin campaigning to secure votes when students return from Spring Break March 22. He couldn’t confirm how many candidates were in the race but said 37 senate seats need to be filled.

Students can also attend two presidential debates during the campaigning period, one on March 26 at 11:30 a.m. on the Lory Student Center Plaza and the other on March 31 at 7 p.m. in the LSC Theater, Robinson said.

“It is absolutely vital that students learn about the presidential ticket,” he said, adding that because the president and vice president are in communication with Colorado legislatures and the university administration, it’s crucial that they be in tune with student’s wants and needs.

The elections committee, which is made up of nine voting members and overseen by Robinson, will track finances by collecting donation and spending reports from each candidate or running team at the beginning and end of each campaigning week.

Total spending for the executive ticket is capped at $2,000 and individuals running for Senate may spend $200. Securing funds for the campaign is up to the candidates, Robinson said.

“If they go over that spending limit they are automatically kicked out of the race,” Robinson said.

Last year’s elections brought 5,583 students to the polls, which Robinson said is a good turnout compared to other student government elections. Students can cast votes April 5 through April 7 on RAMWeb.

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silviera can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• What: President and Vice President running campaigns announced today at 5 p.m. on http://www.ascsu.colostate.edu
  • Campaigning period:
    March 22 at 8 a.m. to April 7 at 4 p.m.
  • Presidential Debates:
    March 12 from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the LSC Plaza
    March 31 at 7 p.m., LSC Theater
  • Voting: April 5-7 on RAMWeb
    Results Announced: April 7 at 8 p.m.