Authors: Josh Phillips

When it comes to guns, President Obama has been a strong anti-self defense advocate since the beginning of his political career.

In 2000, he cosponsored a bill to limit handgun purchases to one per month. In March 2004, he argued against the use of guns to prevent home invasions.

He has said he respects the Second Amendment but supports local gun bans. And to top it off, he admits his views are inconsistent.

This admittedly contradictory belief system is frightening. 

And the Supreme Court of the United States tends to agree. You may recall the Supreme Court struck down gun control legislation in Washington, D.C. mid-2008.

However, I wouldn’t be worried about Obama attempting to ban firearms any time soon. Such a move would be political suicide, and this particular narcissist is too concerned with retaining his current position as president.

It’s political suicide because Americans will never willingly give up their guns. They will never bow to gun control groups who rely on emotional, knee-jerk reactions to horrific events like the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres.

When Obama was elected, gun sales in the United States skyrocketed. Should this worry us? Probably not. Most purchasers feared Obama would raise taxes on weapons and wanted to buy guns before prices exceeded their budgets.

But should we worry about the ones who feared Obama would remove gun rights? Are they maniacal nut jobs who like to kill animals and people for sport? Maybe some, but most were concerned about protecting their rights (and yours, too). 

I’m sure Thomas Jefferson would agree with this mentality. In 1787, he asked, “What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.”

Proponents of gun control love to throw around statistics of accidental gun-related deaths to justify their radical policies. However, they fail to apply the same logic to other deaths in the United States.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 642 unintentional firearm deaths (per 100,000) in 2006. In contrast, there were 4,703 unintentional motorcyclist deaths (again, per 100,000).

Thus, a person is seven times more likely to die by motorcycle than by firearm. Logically, gun control proponents should seek to ban motorcycles before guns.

The Supreme Court is currently considering a case that may extend their June 2008 decision to local laws.

Perhaps in the near future, we will see a Supreme Court decision that completely demolishes the CSU Board of Governor’s foolish gun ban. With any luck, this week’s decision will directly affect our campus and put the bureaucrats in their place. 

An elderly black Chicago resident who said he wants to defend himself against street gangs filed the case. How ironic that Obama’s cleverly constructed gun control edifice may be razed by a resident of his hometown. 

This case excites me for two reasons. First, I’m a libertarian who values personal freedoms. Second, I also highly value self-defense and protecting friends and family.

If there is a third reason, it’s because I’m gradually becoming a gun enthusiast. I currently own a Marlin .22 long rifle with a 3-9× 32 scope. It’s a cheap rifle, bought primarily for home defense, but it’s good for plinking. I plan on purchasing a handgun and obtaining a concealed carry license, BOG be damned. 

My brother owns an M1 Garand and an M4 Assault Rifle, among other firearms, which I have become proficient in operating and maintaining over the past few years.

I tell you this because an armed society is a polite society. Openly declaring ourselves as gun owners greatly reduces our risk of being attacked in our homes.

You may think I’m crazy to keep a rifle in my own home, but I think it’s crazier to burglarize a home guarded by a gun.

I’d like proponents of gun control to consider the implications of restricting guns. Consider how effective prohibition was and consider how well the war on drugs is going.

Outlawing guns will not magically repeal their existence. Instead, it places the fate of law-abiding citizens in the hands of criminals and gun-toting maniacs.
 _
Josh Phillips is a gun-toting Business Administration major. His marksmanship appears Tuesdays in the Collegian. Double-taps and shots from the hip can be sent to letters@collegian.com_.