Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Shelly Smith and Cole Pemberton just got a little bit closer to NFL contracts.

Smith and Pemberton, offensive lineman with the Rams during the 2009 season, both participated in NFL Combine this weekend and responded with impressive showings.

Smith, who stands at 6-foot-3, 300 pounds, posted a 5.11 second 40-yard dash, a 34-inch vertical leap and a 9-foot-4 broad jump during the physical portion of the competition, all near leading stats among linemen. Smith’s vertical jump was second, only behind Trent Williams of Oklahoma.

Pemberton was next to Smith during most the physical tests and said he was impressed with what he saw.
“Shelly (Smith) had a good day. He was the leader in some categories, so he did really well,” Pemberton said.

Pemberton, a 6-foot-7, 315-pounder, produced a solid showing of his own with a 40-yard-dash time of 5.3 seconds and a broad jump of eight feet. The Mountain Vista graduate explained that he had mixed feelings about his performance, but said he’s not too worried about it.

“I did well in some stuff and in some stuff I didn’t perform as well as I had hoped,” Pemberton said. “I’m fortunate to have a pro day coming up with CSU. I don’t feel like I bombed anything.”

The Rams are scheduled to host their annual pro day March 10. The event is set to feature most of the 2009 CSU senior class.

Along with physical tests, Combine participants also took the Wonderlic Test – a 12 minute, 55 question aptitude test covering a variety of occupations – and had interviews with NFL coaches. Pemberton said he enjoyed that part.

“I think they went well,” he said. “Most teams already have an idea of how you can play on the field. In most the interviews coaches are just trying to get a feeling for you as a person. They want to see what you are all about.”

Smith is currently projected to be the 15th offensive guard taken in the upcoming NFL draft by cbssports.com. With his impressive performance at the Combine, his stock is likely to increase.
The 2010 NFL Draft is scheduled for April 22.

Assistant Sports Editor Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

The Shining Stars

Cole Pemberton
Height: 6’ 7”
Weight: 315 pounds
Produced a solid showing with a 40-yard-dash time of 5.3 seconds and a broad jump of eight feet.

Shelley Smith

Height: 6’ 3”
Weight: 300 pounds
Posted a 5.11 second 40-yard dash, a 34-inch vertical leap and a 9-foot-4 broad jump