Authors: Jaime Pritchard, College Avenue Magazine

Whether you are staying to save money or just live in Fort Collins, these local events will keep you entertained while everyone is away.

Local eateries, concerts and film

Enjoy local dining and take advantage of your vacation time by celebrating St. Patrick’s Day the Irish way at Lucky Joe’s Irish Pub in Old Town Square. On March 17, the bar will feature $2.50 “You Call Its” all night and Highwater, a Celtic-bluegrass-rock band from Boulder, at 9 p.m.

You can also eat and enjoy entertainment at Avogadro’s Number. The hip-hop group Hills to Soul in the Sky Rider Band will be performing on March 15. The performance follows Avo’s weekly swing-dancing lessons every Monday at 7 p.m. A dance follows the lessons from 8 to 10:30 p.m.

The Aggie Theater and Hodi’s Half-Note are hosting several concerts throughout break that cater to various musical tastes. The performers range from the electronica group Infected Mushroom to the bluegrass band Head for the Hills and the death metal band Allegaeon, plus much more.

Allison Mecklenburg, a freshman art major and Fort Collins resident, recommends visiting the Lyric Cinema Café on Mountain Avenue because “they are a locally-owned theater that shows independent films and serves real food.”

According to the Web site, their café is modeled after a Spanish tapas bar and serves alcohol. Tuesday night is student night, during which movie tickets are only $4.

The feature films for the week of spring break are not yet listed, but you can follow up by visiting http://www.lyriccinemacafe.com.

Theatre, outdoors and adventure

If you seek a more traditional entertainment, check out the Lincoln Center, located on Magnolia Street, just north of campus.

The performing arts complex is featuring “Bug,” “a comic psycho-thriller about love, fear and government-inspired paranoia” written by the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner Tracy Letts.

The play has received rave reviews from The New York Times and the Associated Press. And no one under 17 is admitted.

“Bug” is showing March 5 through the 7, 12 through the 14 and 19 and 20. Visit http://www.fcgov.com/lctix for ticket prices and more info.

For those of you who are interested in embarking on a few outdoor adventures, Lauren Wilson, a freshman biology major and Fort Collins resident, recommends taking a bike ride, run or walk on the Spring Creek Trail.

Described by Wilson as “scenic and fairly flat,” the almost 7-mile trail winds through several Fort Collins parks.

Wilson also suggested taking a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. Open 365 days a year, the park “is pretty in the winter and the summer,” she said.

Whether you plan on hitting the town, the pavement or the mountains, there are many things to do in Fort Collins over Spring Break. With the variety of entertainment and activities Fort Collins has to offer, you just might have more fun than those who went elsewhere.

Jaime Pritchard is reporter for College Avenue magazine and can be reached at csumag@lamar.colostate.edu.