Authors: Anna Baldwin

Two bands, Pepper and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, will join the ranks of big-name bands that have come to the Moby Arena in recent years as the Association for Student Activity Programming released the official line-up for this year’s Spring Concert today.

However, this year, in contrast to the 2008 Homecoming Concert featuring Lupe Fiasco and Three 6 Mafia concert, student tickets will not be free.

“Last year it was part of (a student government) platform which said there will be a free Homecoming concert,” said ASAP Concert Coordinator Brooke Cunningham. “This year we don’t have that, and we feel that the entire campus should not have to pay for a concert when not every student will attend.”

Though the concert is funded through student fees, Cunningham said ASAP wanted to charge for tickets to offset students who did not want to attend.

According to Cunningham, the ASAP budget to bring in The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, who will open the show, and Pepper, who will headline the show, is $100,000.

Of the budget, $50,000 will go to the bands –– $30,000 for one band and $20,000 for the other —while the remaining $50,000 will go toward production costs, she said, including lights and sound for an arena not set up like a music venue, as well as security, green rooms and food for the bands.

Student tickets will go on sale March 8 for the April 11 show at Moby Arena. Floor tickets are $17 and seated tickets are $12.

Tickets for the general public will be $28 and will be on sale March 15.

The two bands were selected from a list of 10 by student vote, which took place Nov. 16 through Nov. 20 on RamCT.

ASAP’s mantra, as listed on their Web site, goes “You voted, we listened.”
“We narrowed down a list of about 10 bands that we thought the campus would be happy with,” Cunningham said. “This was after a survey was sent to about 5,000 students that told us alternative rock would be the most popular genre for the concert.”

The other eight bands included: Jimmy Eat World, Gym Class Heroes, Snow Patrol, Rise Against, Jack’s Mannequin, Dropkick Murphys, Shinedown and Silversun Pickups.

Cunningham had no comment on whether Pepper or The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus were the top-voted bands and did not reveal the results of the poll.

Cunningham said another difference for the Spring Concert compared to the ’08 Homecoming Concert was how the lowest bleachers will be removed to give the seated audience “an even closer experience.”

Sophomore business major Vivienne Duclos said she is excited for the concert because the bands are almost two different genres.

“I’m pumped,” Duclos said. “I think it’s a great mix of music, and I like how it’s alternative rock and not some type of rap that students listen to on Friday or Saturday nights.”

Cunningham said that ASAP intentionally booked two different genres for the bands so the concert would appeal to more students.

In the past, ASAP has hosted 311, O.A.R., Yellowcard, P.O.D. and Lupe Fiasco at Moby Arena.

Staff writer Anna Baldwin can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

Who: Pepper and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
When: April 11
Where: Moby Arena
Ticket prices: $17 for floor tickets, $12 for seated tickets, and $28 for the general public
Tickets go on sale: March 8 for students and March 15 for general public