Authors: Michael Kalush and Madeline Novey

There’s nothing much better than going out on the town and having someone prepare you a tasty meal, after which you don’t have to do the dishes.

Well, there are a few things that surpass the city dining experience, but this isn’t our column on aphrodisiac foods. We’ll save that risqué topic for another time.

But back on point, Fort Collins and Denver are both hosting culinary events that feature the cities’ best culinary locales at bargain prices.

So now, if you’ve always wanted to go to the Canyon Chophouse but feared its prices, Great Plates has made this food more affordable and available. What’s more exciting than that?

Showcasing a slew of more than 25 downtown restaurants, Great Plates of Downtown 2010 in Fort Collins starts today and continues through March 14.

Participating joints include Fish on Oak Street, our personal favorite for seafood; the Brazilian Rodizio Grill, where diners can enjoy meat carved tableside; the Stuft, a burger bar on College Avenue that opens today; and the vegan Tasty Harmony on Mason Street.

Sonny Lubick Steakhouse is offering a four-course dinner for $25. Diners get Gulf Shrimp and King Crab Cocktail; choice of soup or salad; choice of Slow Roasted Prime Rib, Fresh Scarlet Snapper Filet or Pinenut Crusted Chicken Breast; and choice of Walrus Ice Cream or sorbet for dessert.

For a list of all participating restaurants and their locations and menus, check out http://www.downtownfortcollins.com/dba.php/greatplates/ and go to the link “Print a full list of menu specials here!”

Readers, here’s where we’re soliciting your help to decide what great place we should feature next. Go out, eat at the Great Plates restaurants, and let us know which were your favorites by e-mailing us at verve@collegian.com.

Through March 5, the Mile High city is hosting Denver Restaurant Week 2010.

In honor of the city’s 5,280-foot elevation, participating restaurants are offering multi-course dinners for the fixed price of $52.80 for two or $26.40 for one (not including tax or gratuity).

More than 250 restaurants throughout the downtown and surrounding areas are a part of celebration.

Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s former brewery Wynkoop Brewing Company, the country’s largest brewpub located in lower downtown Denver, is offering a three course meal. Diners can enjoy mussels or calamari to start, the Rail Yard Braised Lamb Shank with sweet potato gnocchi and vegetables and pan sauce for dinner, among others, and a Black and Tan or Triple Lemon Cake.

Positioned across from the Denver’s historic Union Station in an old building complimented by rich woods and decorated second-floor pool tables, the Wynkoop embodies Denver dining and energy.

To his delight, one of Mike’s favorite pizza places is included in the culinary lineup.

Marco’s Coal-Fired Pizzeria, located just two blocks east of Coors Field, boasts Neapolitan pizza using Colorado ingredients.

To compliment coal-fired chicken wings or pescia, a spring mix, long-stemmed artichoke salad for starters, hungry eaters can treat themselves to a Colorado Lamb Pizza with artichokes, roasted pepper and Haystack Goat Cheese, among four other pizza choices.

Essentially, we’re more than excited by the deals Fort Collins and Denver are offering.

And as our mouths water writing this column, we’re imaging you, the reader, tucking the paper in your shirt to use as a bib and heading out to one or more of these restaurants.

Bon appetit, CSU.

Staff photographer Michael Kalush and News Managing Editor Madeline Novey are really hungry now and can be reached at verve@collegian.com after they eat.