Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The conference-leading TCU women’s basketball team will pay a visit to Moby Arena Saturday for a showdown with the Rams. Earlier this year the Horned Frogs downed CSU 78-51, which started a four-game losing streak.

This season, TCU is the only team in the conference with 20 wins and currently leads second place BYU by a half game. The Horned Frogs stand above all other conference teams in terms of scoring offense, rebounds per game and turnover margin.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” head coach Kristen Holt said. “TCU is at the top of our conference for a reason.”

Junior guards Emily Carter and Helena Sverrisdottir both average more than 14 points per game for the Horned Frogs, a formidable scoring duo. They torched the Rams for a combined 32 points when the teams met in January.

Since the Horned Frogs joined the MWC, they are 9-0 against CSU. Despite that, however, the Rams are confident in their chances to win.

“As long as we limit our turnovers, I feel we have potential to win this TCU game,” freshman Chantel Kennedy said.

While most coaches would shy away from such confidence, fearing cockiness, Holt embraces it to a degree.

“With this group confidence isn’t a bad thing,” she said. “I hope we have some confidence because I think if they play hard and give a lot of effort we certainly stand a chance, especially at home, but it’s not going to be easy.”

CSU has posted a 9-3 record at Moby this season, but on the other side of the coin, TCU has won half of their road games, which is one of the better marks in the conference.

The Rams, however, remain undaunted by the fact of having the No. 1 team in the conference in their building.

“It’s exciting,” freshman Meixandra Porter said. “I think if we go in there and play together, play aggressive and limit our turnovers, we’ll be fine.”

The Rams focused on turnovers during the latter half of this week after committing 25 in a loss at New Mexico on Wednesday.

“If we cut down our turnovers by half during our last game, we would’ve stood a much better chance of winning that game,” Holt said. “That’s not something that you can just flip a switch and fix.”

Tip off Saturday is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.