Authors: K.C. Fleming

After falling to 13th in the nation-wide RecycleMania competition, CSU has rebounded and is now ranked in eighth place overall, according to the Web site for the recycling competition.

Last week, CSU reportedly recycled 41,280 pounds of waste –– this equates to 1.34 pounds recycled per person. As a result, Sheela Backen, the Program operations manager for CSU’s Facilities Management, said that she is happy with the school’s continued drive toward sustainable living.

“I am very proud of the commitment that this university has made to go green and strive toward reaching this goal,” she said, lauding CSU’s recycling rate of 56.56 percent.

For the last four years, the university has placed in the top 10 for RecycleMania, which is a 10-week contest between about 500 colleges across the country to see who can recycle the most. The competition started last month.

CU-Boulder fell to 96th place overall with a recycling rate of 29.04 percent, according to recent rankings.

The only other Colorado school that is ranked close to CSU is Colorado College, which is in 19th place with a recycling rate of 48.41 percent.

The recycling rate is the weight of recycled material divided by the estimated weight of all waste (recyclable and non-recyclable), then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

Staff reporter K.C. Fleming can be reached at news@collegian.com.