Authors: Nic Turiciano

Michael Thaut believes that there is more to music than meets the ear.

Thaut, a professor of music and neuroscience at CSU, will lecture today at 3 p.m. on how music and art have an integral part in the development of the human brain and how it continues to prove useful in everyday life.

The program is hosted by the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and will be held at the Fort Collins Colorado Welcome Center off Interstate 25 and Prospect Road.

The four-part lecture, which begins with an introduction into the earliest known appearances of music and art by humans, covers the necessity for music education as well as the therapeutic possibilities that music presents.

“Music education is mostly treated as an add-on to the core curriculum,” Thaut said.

Thaut argues that music should not be treated simply as a supplemental curriculum to the subjects that are taught in schools, but should be viewed as a necessary subject taught to all.

“If you look at the areas of the brain that are activated when you do math or language or some problem solving exercise and when you do a musical task, like comparing different rhythms, the areas of the brain are exactly the same,” Thaut said.

The co-director of the School of the Arts and chairman of the Department of Music, Theater and Dance, Thaut has been researching music and its biological interaction with the human brain throughout his career.

Staff writer Nic Turiciano can be reached at verve@collegian.com.