Authors: Keith Robertson

Today four CSU volleyball players will be spending some time at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Katelin Batten, Evan Sanders, Danielle Minch and Megan Plourde were elected to make the trip down I-25 for the chance to participate in four practices and a chance to expose their talent while trying out for the United States National team.

“I’m pretty nervous,” Minch said. “It’s a big deal, but at the same time we’re not having any expectations.”

The women will compete with about 175 other athletes for chance at a roster spot on the team in only one practice today, two tomorrow and one more on Sunday. Just being there, however, doesn’t guarantee participation in all four sessions; coaches can send a player packing whenever the mood strikes them.

The prospect of an early return to Fort Collins doesn’t have the ladies thinking about their chances of joining former Ram Mekana Barnes on the team but more about what the experience could teach them and how being there can award them with future opportunities.

“I’m going to go in and do the best I can. Hopefully that’s enough,” Batten said. “To even have the opportunity to train with the team is a big deal. It’s a way to get your name out there.”

Since the ladies will be traveling in a small pack they feel as if there will be plenty of support and familiarity at the tryouts.

“The biggest thing is keeping each other calm,” Batten said. “It’s really nerve wracking being (there). Having your teammates there will help me not be so nervous. I’ll have a little piece of home, I think it will help me play better.”

Sports reporter Keith Robertson can be reached at news@collegian.com.