Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Road struggles continued for the CSU women’s basketball team Wednesday as they lost to BYU 72-54 in Provo, Utah. The Rams have now lost four consecutive games away from Fort Collins.

Sophomore Kim Mestdagh scored 12 points to go along with one steal and four rebounds to lead the Rams, but CSU only shot 37 percent from the floor on the evening, including 29.4 percent from behind the three-point line.

“We missed some shots that probably we would normally make,” CSU head coach Kristen Holt said. “We wanted to attack the rim, but we wanted to do it with quality shots.”

While CSU improved on free throw shooting in the previous few games, the Rams shot a woeful 60 percent from the charity stripe at BYU.

“Free throws are something we work on every day, and I feel like we should be able to make those in the game,” Mestdagh said.

She was six of six on the night while the rest of the team combined to shoot three of nine.

BYU led by as many as 22 in the second half, but two free throws by Mestdagh brought the Rams within eight with 3:22 remaining in the game. The Cougars then closed it out with a 14-4 run, ending the Rams’ hopes for an upset.

Junior forward Coriann Wood again burned CSU from the bench, scoring 18 points in just 21 minutes of playing time.

“In transition, she spots up at the three, and they get to the ball to her,” Holt said. “We didn’t do a good job matching on her, and she got a lot of wide open looks.”

Sophomore forward Kristen Riley came close of a double-double for the Cougars, scoring 11 points and bringing down nine rebonds.

CSU handled the BYU press better than in the first meeting, only committing 15 turnovers compared to 26 when the teams met in Fort Collins.

“We did a nice job breaking the press,” Holt said. “But at times, when we would break the press, we took some poor shots.”

The Rams opened the game stride for stride with BYU, tying the score at 11 on a three-pointer by sophomore Chatilla van Grinsven with five minutes in to the first half. From there, it was all Cougars, however, as BYU went on a 19-0 run capped by a Riley jumper at 7:53.

“We couldn’t maintain our focus, and we kinda gave up” said Zoi Simmons, junior guard. “We weren’t aggressive at all.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.