Authors: Jordyn Dahl

One of Iran’s most infamous public spectacles were the 2009 presidential elections that returned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power in an election some called illegitimate.

But Iran is so much more than that: it is a place of educators, religious leaders, carpet purveyors, shepherds and everyday people doing everyday things, one local artist and her daughter say.

And to give people a more humanistic view of Iran, the Fort Collins International Center, as part of its International Night at the Library series, is hosting Jeanne Nash and her daughter Heidi, both of whom traveled to Iran last May, tonight at the Council Tree Library at 7 p.m.

Jeanne Nash is a local artisan who traveled with the Seattle United Nations Association last May to Iran with 25 “intrepid peacemakers” from across the country, according to the library’s Web site. While there with her daughter and the small group, she experienced Iranian culture and hospitality as it was before the now infamous elections.

Nash will speak about her travels and the insight she was given about the Iranian culture. This, former CSU history professor Chad Lingwood said, provides people new insight.

“It is always unique to find an American citizen who has traveled to Iran to talk about their experiences,” Lingwood said. “They bring back perspectives that we don’t get to see on the news.”

Created in 1967, the Fort Collins International Center hosts the bi-montly International Night at the Library. The center coordinates with CSU’s Office of International Programs to bring awareness and resources to campus for both international and non-international students.

“The whole idea is to introduce people to places they might not know about,” said Mark Oberschmidt, director of International Night at the Library.

International Night at the Library was created a few years ago and works to promote international understanding among students and community members by providing speakers to discuss their experiences abroad.

The Council Tree Library is located on 2733 Council Tree Ave.

Staff writer Jordyn Dahl can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Attend the speech
Who: Local artist Jeanne Nash and daughter Heidi will speak about their experiences about their trip to Iran last May

Goal: To provide people with a new perspective of Iranian life and culture unrelated to the infamous 2009 presidential elections

When: Today, 7 to 9 p.m.

Where: Council Tree Library, located on 2733 Council Tree Ave