Authors: Kirsten Silveira

CSU President Tony Frank announced in an e-mail to the campus community this morning that he has chosen long-time colleague Rick Miranda to serve as the university’s second in command.

Miranda, former interim-provost and executive vice president, ascended to the temporary position in November 2008 when former President Larry Penley resigned from his post and Frank vacated the position of provost.

The Collegian was unable to obtain university comment but CSU spokesperson Emily Wilmsen confirmed Miranda’s appointment.

A committee, formed early last semester to conduct a nationwide job search, selected Miranda as well as two other candidates to interview for the position and meet with both CSU administration and student body leaders.

Valerie Hardcastle, a dean at the University of Cincinnati, and Robert Sternberg, a dean at Tufts University in Massachusetts, were both described as “highly qualified” in Frank’s e-mail.

After the finalists completed the on-campus interviews, the search committee drew up a list of pros and cons of each candidate and presented the information to Frank who then had the final word on who would get the job.

The provost position cannot be a “single-pitch pitcher,” Frank said in the e-mail, explaining that the provost must be well versed in all areas of the university ¬¬–– including standing up to decisions he doesn’t agree with.

“The Provost has to be able come into the President’s Office and say, ‘You’ve asked me to give you my best advice, and here it is: You’re about to do the wrong thing.’,” he said.

Miranda came to CSU in 1982 and has spent the past 20 years as a part of the CSU community –– some of which were spent as the dean of Natural Sciences.

As provost Miranda will oversee all the university’s core academic initiatives, sit as a non-voting member of Faculty Council, serve on Frank’s cabinet and chair the Council of Deans on which he once sat.

Miranda understands the current state of higher education in Colorado and the budget crisis at the university level, Frank said. “He’s the pitcher I need in the game right now.”

Senior Reporter Kirsten Silveira can be reached at news@collegian.com